PG&E Begins Offering $240M for Generation and Energy Storage Incentives through SGIP

May 2, 2017
Pacific Gas and Electric is inviting businesses and consumers to apply for $240 million in renewable and energy storage incentives through its self-generation incentive program (SGIP) for 2017.

Pacific Gas and Electric (PG&E) is inviting businesses and consumers to apply for $240 million in renewable and energy storage incentives through its self-generation incentive program (SGIP) for 2017.

California regulators have directed PG&E and other investor-owned utilities to distribute $566,692,308 designated to the SGIP program through 2019.

The bulk of the money – 79 percent will be used for energy storage incentives. The remaining 21 percent will go to projects that use generation, such as wind turbines, fuel cells and combined heat and power.

PG&E says it will prioritize applications that pair energy storage with renewables.

The SGIP was developed in 2001 by the state legislature and the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) to boost renewables and support California’s climate and clean air goals.

This year marks the first time most of the money is designated for energy storage. More than $390 million will go to energy storage projects bigger than 10 kW in size. For smaller, residential-size storage projects, the state allocated $57 million.

Energy storage incentives will vary based on the size of the project and other factors.

For example, the incentive will be 50 cents/watt-hour for projects that do not take the federal investment tax credit (ITC). Residential systems that are 10 kW and smaller will receive the same incentive. For larger energy storage projects that take the ITC, the incentive begins at 36 cents/watt-hour. As funds deplete, the incentive levels go down in 10 cents/watt-hour increments. The money is being alloted in five stages, with the first step opening up May 1.

Funds Available Statewide through California SGIP

Source: California PUC

Incentives differ for generation projects. For example, wind energy starts at 90 cents/watt, while CHP and fuel cell projects start at 60 cents/watt. Like energy storage, generation projects see incentives decline based on demand.

“Incentives for energy technologies offered through the statewide self-generation incentive program allow our customers to have choice and control over their energy,” said Aaron Johnson, PG&E vice president of customer energy solutions. “We applaud California’s direction allocating nearly 80 percent of the program to energy storage, a growing resource as we continue integrating distributed energy resources for the energy grid of the future.”

More details about the offering are available at

About the Author

Elisa Wood | Editor-in-Chief

Elisa Wood is an award-winning writer and editor who specializes in the energy industry. She is chief editor and co-founder of Microgrid Knowledge and serves as co-host of the publication’s popular conference series. She also co-founded, where she continues to lead a team of energy writers who produce content for energy companies and advocacy organizations.

She has been writing about energy for more than two decades and is published widely. Her work can be found in prominent energy business journals as well as mainstream publications. She has been quoted by NPR, the Wall Street Journal and other notable media outlets.

“For an especially readable voice in the industry, the most consistent interpreter across these years has been the energy journalist Elisa Wood, whose Microgrid Knowledge (and conference) has aggregated more stories better than any other feed of its time,” wrote Malcolm McCullough, in the book, Downtime on the Microgrid, published by MIT Press in 2020.

Twitter: @ElisaWood

LinkedIn: Elisa Wood

Facebook:  Microgrids


Design for Purpose Microgrids – Water and Wastewater

Nov. 3, 2023
Michael Boswell, vice president, power & infrastructure at Concord Engineering discusses microgrid designs for water and wastewater.


Microgrid Business Models and Value Chains

The new energy industry is working to categorize the various types of microgrids and business models. The primary goal is to minimize microgrid system cost and funding. To learn...