New Jersey Offers Initial $65M from Resilience Bank for Microgrids at Water Plants

Nov. 9, 2014
The New Jersey Energy Resilience Bank is now offering $65 million in financing for microgrids and distributed energy at water/waste water treatment plants.

The New Jersey Energy Resilience Bank (ERB) is now accepting applications for microgrids and other distributed energy resources at critical facilities throughout the state.

The public infrastructure bank will use $200 million in federal disaster relief funds to finance projects.

The resilience bank will initially offer financing for distributed energy projects at water and wastewater treatment plants. It is now accepting applications for $65 million allotted for these facilities.

The application period for water and wastewater treatment facilities will be followed by a similar process for other critical sectors, such as healthcare, education, and transit.

Superstorm Sandy caused extensive damage to New Jersey’s energy infrastructure, disrupting delivery of electricity, petroleum, and natural gas to consumers across the state, and leaving an estimated five million residents without electricity. Distributed energy resources, including combined heat and power, fuel cells and off-grid solar inverters with battery storage, allowed some critical facilities, such as hospitals, wastewater treatment plants and universities, to remain operational while the electric grid was down.

Learn more about how buildings with microgrids fare during power outages. Download our  new, free guide: The Energy Efficient Microgrid.

In addition to providing resilience, istributed energy resource can lower and stablize energy costs, reduce emissions and increase overall energy efficiency.

The resilience bank will offer grants and forgivable loans  to address up to 40 percent of unmet funding needs. Low-interest, amortizing loans will be available for the remaining 60 percent. Grants and loans may require equity contribution, and any principal forgiveness component will require evidence of meeting minimum performance requirements.

Eligible technologies must be able to island, start up without a direct connection to the electric grid (blackstart), and have the capability to operate at critical load.

The resilience bank is the result of collaboration between the NJ Board of Public Utilities (BPU) and the NJ Economic Development Authority (EDA)

For eligibility requirements see the ERB Program Guide to Program Funds and the Round One funding document  at www.NJERB.com, or call (866) 534-7789, or email [email protected].

Keep  up on microgrid  funding opportunities by subscribing to the free Microgrid Knowledge newsletter.

About the Author

Elisa Wood | Editor-in-Chief

Elisa Wood is an award-winning writer and editor who specializes in the energy industry. She is chief editor and co-founder of Microgrid Knowledge and serves as co-host of the publication’s popular conference series. She also co-founded RealEnergyWriters.com, where she continues to lead a team of energy writers who produce content for energy companies and advocacy organizations.

She has been writing about energy for more than two decades and is published widely. Her work can be found in prominent energy business journals as well as mainstream publications. She has been quoted by NPR, the Wall Street Journal and other notable media outlets.

“For an especially readable voice in the industry, the most consistent interpreter across these years has been the energy journalist Elisa Wood, whose Microgrid Knowledge (and conference) has aggregated more stories better than any other feed of its time,” wrote Malcolm McCullough, in the book, Downtime on the Microgrid, published by MIT Press in 2020.

Twitter: @ElisaWood

LinkedIn: Elisa Wood

Facebook:  Microgrids

Exploring the Potential of Community Microgrids Through Three Innovative Case Studies

April 8, 2024
Community microgrids represent a burgeoning solution to meet the energy needs of localized areas and regions. These microgrids are clusters of interconnected energy resources,...

Mgk Erock Sr Cover 2023 02 06 16 26 29

7 Strategies to Make Microgrids a Fit for Utility Grid Modernization

In 2022, Enchanted Rock and Microgrid Knowledge conducted a survey of leaders at large U.S. electric utilities. The goal was to understand their actions and attitudes around microgrid...